Sunday, June 5, 2016

Home Cooked Steamed Fish

Spicy Sweet and Sour Steam Fish
I like fish, either steam, fried or smoked. And, every opportunity that I get, I would like to have at least one fish cuisine during dinner. I have learned many of this wonderful fish cuisine recipes from my mom which I have enjoyed cooking over the years, from curry fish cuisines to steam fish cuisines. Today, I am going to write about the Spicy Sweet and Sour Steam Fish cuisine that you will enjoy too.

First, we would need a whole fish and for the steam fish cuisine, I would prefer a sea fish than a river fish. I have a wider choice with the types of fish I can use for this particular steam fish cuisine but I will settle for seabass, barramundi or silver pomfret. Their firmer meat makes steaming easier and their meat taste great with this cuisine.

Seabass for Steam Fish Cuisine
Once the fish is selected, cleaned and placed in a plate. Put the fish in a steamer to cook first. While waiting for the fish to cook. I can prepare the gravy. I will start with three bulbs of shallots, a clove of garlic, half spoon of preserved soy bean,  and two spoons of fresh chopped chillies. All three of these items are to be blended and the puree added into the hot wok with one spoon full of cooking oil. Allow the gravy to simmer for a short while. Then,  add two spoons of ketchup, one spoon of fine sugar, a pinch of salt for taste and some slice tomatoes. Remove the cooked steamed fish from the steamer and garnish on the fish the sweet and sour fish gravy. This steam fish cuisine is best serve warm.

Stir Fried Fern Shoots
Another cuisine I have prepared along side this steam fish cuisine that I would like to share is the stir fried fern shoots with shrimp in belacan sauce. I bought these shoots from the vegetable stall in the Granville Island Public Market. The fern shoots are kind of a specialy in Sabah and Sarawak. Not so popular back on Peninsular Malaysia but I have tried it several times before and liked it. So, today, I am going to stir fry this vegetable with some shrimps. In the beginning of Spring, there are lots of fern shoots in the wild which is the same vegetable that I just cooked. In Malaysia, I see people picking them but in our parks here, although grown in abundance, people don't collect them.

Lotus Roots with Pork Ribs and Ground Nuts Soup
The soup for the day, would be the Chinese traditional soup, Lotus root with pork ribs and ground nuts. I like this lotus root soup which brings back memories of dining with my mom in Malaysia. She prepares this type of soup nearly three sometimes four times a week. So, I practically, being enjoying this soup for a long long time. Very easy to cook, just throw about 600 grams of sliced lotus roots, 200 grams of pork ribs (or chicken bones) and ground nuts (handful) into a pot of water and let it boil for about two hours on slow heat. Once the nuts have soften, add salt for taste. And ready to be served.

No comments:

Post a Comment