Saturday, June 18, 2016

My Favorite Fried Rice Cuisine

Sambal Belacan Fried Rice
There are so many different ways and recipes for fried rice. On the internet, there are hundreds of such recipes. Actually, I like them all but my favorite is still the fried rice that is spicy, flavourful and with eggs in it. Every so often, I would just settled for a plate of my favorite fried rice for dinner. But to me, a really good cuisine of fried rice must have the items that make it uniquely Malaysian. This mixture of spices, herbs, sauces and paste that can transform plain rice to be tasty, flavourful and satisfying. And I usually would have a bottle of this special paste mix in the fridge. In case, I want to fry rice. The special item I am referring to is the, Sambal Belacan, a type of chilli shrimp paste that is unique and commonly used in Malaysian cooking.

Typical Malaysian Fried Rice
In the region surrounding Malaysia, especially the Malay archipelago, the chilli shrimp paste is the most popular ingredient used to enhance taste and flavours of the cuisines. And I use it quite a bit in my cooking. Sometimes, even spread the sambal belacan on my steam rice, just for the flavour and taste. Lately, I have seen this special chilli shrimp paste sold in some of the local grocery stores in Vancouver and I have tried it out. Not bad, for the mass produced sambal belacan but I still prefer the home made sambal belacan. It is, but an alternative to the home made one.

For this favorite fried rice of mine. It is simple. Really simple.

Real Tasty and Flavourful Fried Rice
Other than the sambal belacan, just follow these easy steps. Add about two spoons of cooking in a hot wok, then followed with some chopped garlic. Quickly crack two eggs into the wok, stir the eggs a little and add a few shrimps. Once the eggs and shrimps are cooked, throw in the rice and mix everything up. If there are lumps of rice, break them up. I like the rice separated and not lumpy. On top of it all, add two spoons of dark soy sauce, pinch of salt and two spoons of sambal belacan (one spoon per portion). Mix everything up until the fried rice turns evenly golden brown. If you have any fried anchovies, garnish some on the fried rice with mint leaves or cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment