Friday, July 1, 2016

Another One of Penang's Famous Street Cart Cuisine

Char Keow Kak
Penang is just full of wonderful and flavourful cuisines. Especially, in the night, there are so much of these food carts (we call these hawkers) serving so much of the most delicious cuisines authentic to Penang. In the city, there they are almost everywhere. Some will park on a street corner somewhere near a coffee shop, or some of them will just gather and create a food court like section on a street of their own, and many of which are actually in food courts or coffee shops. Where ever they may be, it is a food heaven.

Penang Char Keow Kak
Penang is famous for it's hawker food and the mention of Penang, brings back such memories. An because of that I wanted to try my hands on frying this famous Penang Char Keow Kak. I know the components and ingredients of this famous radish cuisine but have never actually fried the radish cuisine before. So, during one of the summer potluck sessions with some friends, I actually fried the Char Keow Kak. And it did not turn out to my expectations because the radish cake that I have made earlier was too soft. So soft that the radish cake became lumpy and sticky which did not look anywhere close to a CHar Keow Kak.

Authentic Penang Char Keow Kak
Upon tasting the radish cake, I noticed the taste was really good and flavourful. So, last week when we went to the new Asian grocery store in Richmond, I bough a block of the ready cooked radish cake for under four dollars. With that block of that ready to cook radish cake, I fried the famous Penang Char Keow Kak. The preparation was simple and the cooking was easy to follow. With that one block of the radish cake, I could actually fry up about six individual servings of the Cantonese cuisine.

No comments:

Post a Comment