Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Home Cooked Sambal Petai for Dinner

Sambal Petai Anchovies
Came home late from work one day and decided to prepare and cook dinner in an hour because the time was already eight o'clock in the evening. I went straight into the kitchen and pulled whatever I can reach first from the fridge. Hastily, I managed to grab a cucumber and an egg plant. So, I immediately thought of sambal petai. In which (petai), I have actually just bought from Hen Long Supermarket just a few days before. The first thing I would need to prepare for this unique cuisine is to fry the anchovies and squeeze some tamarind juice which I set out to do.

Blench Kailan with Oyster Flavoured Sauce
Cooking sambal petai anchovies is simple and can be quickly done in less than an hour. I poured about four spoons of cooking oil into a hot wok and then throw in a handful of anchovies. Once the anchovies were fried, I throw in the cut egg plants (cut into small cubes) into the wok. Followed with two spoons of chilies and then the cucumbers (also cut into small cubes). Lastly pour in the tamarind juice just for the right taste and flavour. Allow the sambal petai anchovies to simmer a little bit and afterwards transfer to a serving plate.

Roasted Chicken Wings
The dinner won't be complete without a vegetable dish. Therefore, I boiled a pot of water to use. The hot pot of boiling water was used to blench a bunch of kailan vegetables. I later garnished the plate of vegetables with two spoons of oyster flavoured sauce and the fried anchovies. While I was doing all this, my kids had two trays of chicken wings in the oven already. The chicken wings were marinated from last night and allowed to set in the fridge overnight. So the kids when to the fridge and took the chicken wings out from the fridge and left them to roast in the oven for about thirty five minutes. Meanwhile, as I was finishing up on my two cuisines, I also got the rice cooker going with one cup of rice. Dinner was ready just slightly one minute after the hour at nine.

No comments:

Post a Comment