Thursday, July 28, 2016

Newtown Bakery

Salty Donut
We often stopped by Newtown Bakery for breakfast or sometime even for a snack. Usually, we will pick up a take away. Like they serve the best barbecue pork pau (Char Siew Pork Buns) in Vancouver. Newtown is one of the more popular bakery in Vancouver that serves Chinese cakes and buns. They do have a diner within their bakery but most of their customers come to take away their famous pork and chicken buns. They have three outlets, namely Chinatown, Surrey and Richmond. I frequent the Chinatown outlet the most but the Surrey branch is the closes to home.

Egg Tarts
If I am at Richmond, I will pick something up from there too. Other than their famous buns, Newtown Bakery serves a range of Chinese cakes and buns too. And I like the Hum Chim Pheng (translated from Cantonese means Salty Donut or Cookie) as well. A flavourful savoury donut that is really filling if eaten in one meal. At least for me one piece is filling. Their Egg Tarts are also a popular item. And they are really lovely. Creamy and soft inside but the crust are flaky and flavourful. I will usually buy several half dozen boxes. And at home, they finish really quickly.

Donut stuffed with Black Bean Paste and Sesame Seed Bun
Like I say, they have an assortment of cakes, buns and sweet stuff. So, I also take away some of the buns that I could have for lunch the next day. Like this last trip, I bought extra buns for my kids's lunch. If that is not enough, they actually have a fully equipped kitchen in their Surrey and Chinatown outlets which could cook up some awesome Cantonese cuisines too. I have tried their noodle cuisines, which I found to be good and authentic. Their fried beef noodle is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment