Thursday, December 29, 2016

Christmas Potluck

Christmas Potluck
I was in Los Angeles on Christmas day and participated in the potluck organized by my fellow university Malaysian alumnus living in the Los Angeles area. I have not met with many of them for at least sixteen years. Coincidentally, that was how long I have not visited Los Angeles. My kids also met with the kids of my fellow Malaysian alumnus. Even our former Malaysian Student Association sponsor from the university joined us in the Christmas potluck. I am glad that we were able to join the group for the Christmas potluck.

Curry Chicken
There were so much food brought to the potluck by the group participants but the cuisines were mixed of local Western and Malaysian cuisines. I wanted to cook up something but was asked not to. The most authentic of Malaysian cuisine that I ate was curry chicken which was cooked by the host family. Other Malaysian cuisines were fried beehoon, roasted chicken wings, roasted duck, roasted pork, and spring rolls. In between the Malaysian cuisines were also, Japanese sushi, honey baked ham, mash potato, lasagna, salads and fruit punch.

Roast Pork
Comparing between the group in Vancouver and Los Angeles, the cuisines brought to the potlucks are very much different. Although both groups are Malaysians, in Vancouver our friends cooked better, tastier and more authentic Malaysian cuisines while the Los Angeles group satisfy themselves with local cuisines. I guess this may be due to the availability of Malaysian herbs, spices, paste, sauces and ingredients in Vancouver. Seems like in Vancouver, they are more readily available. I asked the friends in Los Angeles and many of them told me that Malaysian ingredients were difficult to find in Los Angeles.

No comments:

Post a Comment