Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Steam Alaskan Hagfish in Spicy Soybean Paste

Steam Hagfish
A good friend of mine gave me some hagfish he bought from a supplier that delivers fish caught in Alaska. At first, I did not know what to cook the hagfish with or how to cook the fish at all. Later, I tried frying them and the hagfish turned out to be tasty and fresh. The hagfish's flesh was like that of grouper or sea bass. So, I cooked the hagfish the way I would cook a grouper or sea bass. One thing about the hagfish was that the flesh was really fresh.

Assam Steam Fish
I think, I am going to try cooking curry with it. The assam type of curry. Yesterday, I decided to steam the hagfish and it turned out to be just as tasty and delicious as if I was cooking with sea bass or grouper. I guess the flesh is similar because both the hagfish, grouper or seabass are sea bottom dwellers. For this cuisine, instead of preparing fresh ingredients from scratch, I relied on a pack of Thai Assam Fish Paste. I cleaned the fish, steam them in a steamer. Once they were cooked, poured away the excess water.

Steam Assam Fish
After that, I poured the Thai assam fish paste on the fish and steam again for another five minutes before serving. I took the fish plater out of the steamer and continued with some okra. After about three minutes and once the okras have cooked, garnish them on the steam fish with some thinly sliced spring onions. This hagfish cuisine was our one dish for dinner yesterday. The Thai assam sauce blended well with both the fish and the vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment