Thursday, December 1, 2016

Chinese Vegetable Spring Rolls

Fried Vegetable Spring Rolls
This is a popular and signature cuisine in Chinese restaurants. Not only are they commonly served in Chinese restaurants in Vancouver but in nearly all the Chinese restaurants in all the major cities over the world. But the spring roll is a common cuisine served at home in Malaysia and also in many Chinese homes in Hong Kong, Taiwan and even in homes in the motherland of Chinese cuisines. They are more commonly served in dim sum type restaurants.

Sayur Manis Soup
I bought a box of forty pieces of ready to fry vegetable spring rolls yesterday and had to cook them to find out for myself how good were they. And, I liked it, they were fresh, crispy and delicious. I will purchase another box or two to stock in the freezer. I also cooked a bowl of egg and vegetable soup. I use star gooseberry leaves or also called the sweet leaves. But in Malaysia this leaf is commonly known as sayur manis. My mom used to grow this plant in the yard and plucked from the plant itself when she wanted to cook this soup. Here in Vancouver, only the Asian groceries retail this sayur manis.

Fish Cooked in Preserved Soy Bean Paste
My wife also defrosted a bag of fish since the morning. The fish were given to us by a good friend that wanted us to try them. If we liked it, he was going to invite me to join him on his next trip to purchase more. I simply fried the fish first and than cooked with onions, ginger, and spring onions. For the gravy I added two spoons of preserved soy bean paste and a cup of water. The fish cuisine turned out to be really good and the fish was fresh. But the fish will only be good for certain type of cuisines.


No comments:

Post a Comment