Friday, October 21, 2016

Fried Shanghai Noodle with Rice Noodle



Simple and Economical Fried Noodle
I prepared lunch for the kids to take to school, and also for my wife and I, for work today. The first thing I did before getting started was to check the fridge. When I opened the fridge door, I saw a small bag of bean sprouts, which was leftover from last night's dinner. My wife must have placed the bag of bean sprouts there to remind ourselves to use it first before it spoils. And I also saw a half bag of Shanghai noodle in the fridge. So, I now have an idea of what to cook or prepare. I was going to use both the bean sprouts and the Shanghai noodle. But the half bag of Shanghai noodle was not going to be enough to cook five portions.

Thrifty Fried Noodle with Pickled Chillies
I needed to improvise, I wanted to find another noodle that I can combine with Shanghai noodle. And depending on the combination of noodles, I need to come up with a perfect recipe to quickly prepare the ingredients. From the food cabinet, I have another opened pack of rice noodle. Shanghai noodle and the rice noodle will be a perfect combination. With the noodles sorted out, I quickly came up with the perfect recipe. The theme for the day was going to be simple and economical. I am going to fry the type of noodle cuisine that is found in small breakfast stalls and coffee shops in Malaysia. And there all kinds of name for this style of fried noodle. It is definitely the most economical and thrift breakfast.

Poor man's Breakfast
I was going to fry the simple fried noodle using just dark soy bean sauce (three spoons), and chicken stock for flavour. In the hot wok, add two spoons of cooking oil and followed with two spoons of chopped garlic. Then, add shrimps and sliced fish cakes. Stir until the shrimps cooked, add the bean sprouts, the Shanghai noodle, and the rice noodles. On top of everything, add three spoons of dark soy sauce, one spoon of powdered chicken stock, and a pinch of salt for taste. Using a pair of chopsticks and spatula, stir, mix and toss until the noodles cooked and even colored. This poor man's breakfast is best eaten with crunchy pickled chillies.

No comments:

Post a Comment