Thursday, January 19, 2017

Curry Gulai Asam Fish Head

Gulai Asam Fish Head
One of the most popular among Penang cuisine must be the Gulai Asam Fish or sometimes Gulai Fish Head Curry. There instances that the same curry gravy is cooked with whole mackerel (ikan kembong), black pomfret, or with catfish in Penang. Otherwise, we sometimes like the gulai with fish head. In Vancouver, I often use the Salmon fish head as it is the most commonly found in the supermarkets. And, I also use the other parts of the Salmon for many other fish cuisines.

A Popular Fish Head Curry in Malaysia
So, the leftover fish heads which I don't normally use is kept for cooking curry. Then, depending on how many friends that want to join me for curry fish head, I would cook a large pot of the gulai asam fish head curry to share with them or take the whole pot to a potluck gathering. I would usually cook up to three large fish head at a time but more often just two fish head is ample for two, sometimes three friends to share. I have cooked the gulai asam fish head curry several times before and invited friends over for a feast.

Curry Fish Head
Not many people like the curry fish head. I found that majority that likes eating fish head are men. In Penang in particular, I know of many excellent fish head curry restaurants and roadside stalls that serves really good curry fish head but in Vancouver, I have yet to find any although it is a popular Penang cuisine. The so called Malaysian restaurants here are merely offering their own version of popular Malaysian cuisines.

No comments:

Post a Comment