Saturday, January 21, 2017

Penang Char Beehoon and Mee

Penang Char Bee Hoon
Last night, our dinner was simple. I fried Penang Fried Beehoon and Mee for dinner. The reason was that we came home late. I was tide up at work until later in the evening and my wife had been playing chauffeur to a Malaysian family that have just moved in to a rented apartment. And the kids have their usual extracurricular activities but yesterday they had to stay back in school to assist the school teachers with some end of term activities for international students.

Penang Char Mee
The first thing I did was to soak some vermicelli in a pot of hot water and when the noodles were soften, drain away the water. I did the same for the shanghai noodle. I blenched them in a pot of hot water. Usually the blenching takes about four to five minutes. The other ingredients that I had was chives, bean sprouts, Chinese sausages, shrimps and chopped garlic. The chives were  cut in two inch long strips. I also needed to prepare the char keow teow sauce from soy sauce, salt and pepper before I can start frying. Then, the Chinese sausages needed to be sliced thinly. I did not have any fish cake, or else I would have included thinly sliced fish cake too.

Penang Char Beehoon Mee
In the hot wok, pour about three spoons of cooking oil and drop in the chopped garlic then, followed with the shrimps and the sliced Chinese sausages. Once the shrimps are cooked, throw in the chilli paste and bean sprouts. Stir and mix everything in the wok. Add the noodle and continue with the stirring. On top of the noodle, add three spoons of the char keow teow sauce. Break an egg onto the noodle and wait for the egg to cook before stirring. While waiting for the egg to cook, throw in a handful of chives and mix everything in the wok until they are evenly spread out. Gently, turn the noodle over and serve in a plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment