Sunday, January 15, 2017

How do we know the rice we eat is genuine?

Unagi and Rice Plater
My wife and I went to Crystal Mall's market place to do our weekly grocery shopping this morning. And since it was already about time for lunch, we walked outside the mall towards the Willingdon Street entrance with the intention of dining in the Green Bamboo Vietnamese Cuisine. But when we got there, we changed our mine and decided to dine in Ali Shan Chinese Restaurant instead because we have never dine there before. When we entered, there were already a crowd in the diner. I ordered the kimchi flavoured seafood soup that comes with a bowl of rice and a drink. And my wife ordered the unagi fish and rice plater. We waited for quite a while before our orders arrived but we were perfectly fine with that because there were a lot people in the diner.

Is This Rice Too Perfect?
My wife's order were served first. The presentation was well decorated with the rice in the middle and the dishes around the cup of rice. Before eating, she noticed that the rice looks so perfect. There were no broken rice and every single grain were perfect in shape and colour. And they were not basmati nor jasmine type of rice. We cook basmati and jasmine rice at home, the rice grains may be loose but never perfect in shape and colour. So, she took a grain of rice from the centre of the plate, pressed it between her thumb and first finger. And the grain of rice was tough, it would not break no matter how much pressure was put on it.

Is this fake?
The rice grain was not sticky at all but could be reshaped, neither did the rice grain stick to the skin of her finger. When we put two grains together it combined into a larger grain and could be reshaped into a longer grain of rice. And due to this we became sceptic, we decided not to eat the rice. When my order came, I too, did not eat the rice but finished the kimchi flavoured seafood soup. Both the unagi rice and the kimchi flavoured seafood soup were actually tasty and flavourful. But the diner next door which we often dine in serves better and slightly cheaper cuisines, and do not serve suspicious fake rice. I don't know, I may be wrong about the rice but I am not willing to eat something that I am not sure of. With the crowd in the diner, I do not want to create a scene either. So, we just walked away after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment